aibs and cpuctl identify [was Re: acpicpu slowing down computer [was Re: firefox slowness -- X server problem?]]

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 05:53:54AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> The problem here is that there is no way to tell if a fan is absent
> vs stalled (installed-but-not-spinning).  So when the BIOS specifies
> a WarnMin limit and the measured value is 0, we generate the
> "warning under limit" event.

I guessed as much :)

> Are you really running with only the CPU cooler fan, and no case
> fan? Or is your case fan an older 2-wire model which doesn't provide
> a Sense wire for measurement?

Actually, the case has two big cooler fans running, but they're not
connected to the mainboard, just the power supply. They get their
power like hard disks do.

> > The CPU is
> > cpu0: "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3520  @ 2.67GHz"
> > but it's often misregnized by NetBSD with a higher clockrate:
> > cpu0: Intel Core i7 (Nehalem) (686-class), 3207.40 MHz, id 0x106a5
> > (both lines from the same cpuctl output).
>
> The first line is a text string set-up by your motherboard's BIOS,
> while the second line is NetBSD's own decode of the CPU signature
> based on the CPU_ID.  I don't have my decode-sheet handy to tell
> which is correct.
> Based on the fact that the BIOS seems to have gotten the clock speed
> wrong, I'd suspect it also got the CPU model wrong.  (An updated
> BIOS might be able to decode the more-modern CPU_ID.)

It's an i7, but the Xeon version of it (which was model number 3520, I
think).

NetBSD sometimes does get the CPU speed correct, from a different
dmesg output:
cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: Intel 686-class, 2672MHz, id 0x106a5

No idea why or when it changes though.
 Thomas