Re: weird ACPI error messages on Compaq laptop

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 01:38:56PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> It might help to instrument acpiecdt_find() to see why the
> embedded controller driver doesn't attach early.

A good idea. Joerg also considered the initialization order recently.[1]

> Didn't check the spec, but perhaps the assumption in the code
> that a ECDT must be present if the EC is needed for device
> initialization is just wrong?

I am not sure whether I got the question right, but I think that the premise
of early attach via ECDT is on solid ground. To my knowledge, this is how it
is done on every *nix system. According to some Microsoft documentation that
I've tried to gather, this appears to be the way it is done also on Windows
(probably still the only OS that gets APCI fully right). See also ACPI 4.0,
section 5.2.15.

- Jukka.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2009/11/09/msg011119.html