Re: git copies of cvs modules available

2010/1/11 S.P.Zeidler <spz%serpens.de@localhost>:
> Hi,
>
> Thus wrote Michal Suchanek (hramrach%centrum.cz@localhost):
>
>> I see multiple issues here.
>> It is not surprising that like cvs git
>> requires a service of its own to work properly,
>
> UNlike cvs, unless you want to name ssh 'a service of its own'.
>
>> and it is not
>> surprising that the current vcs admins do not want to run multiple
>> such service as it means more work for them and perhaps too much
>> server load as well.
>
> Work for me is not the point (unless it's pointless work :).
> The current git repo is situated on the ftp server, not on any cvs
> server. The frequent updates of the git repo are sufficient extra load
> already for that machine.
>
>> There is one point that many people in this discussion seem to miss.
>> If the cvs repository was put in such state that it *can* be
>> automatically converted to other vcs then people can create their own
>> mirrors off the netbsde.org servers. You can get the features of cvs,
>> git, and likely any other vcs all at once without additional load on
>> the netbsd infrastructure.
>
> The conversion problems do not have simple and obvious fixes:
> There is no way in cvs to undo a repo move without damaging the cvs repo.
> Also, there is not necessarily a way to deal with the vendor branch
> issues in cvs without destroying history.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the scope of the issue at hand. From the
discussion it seemed that the source of differences between the cvs
repo and the converted repo was identified and could be weeded out and
avoided in the future.

> The git conversion has systematic errors (see the "keyword expansion"
> topic) with the automatic conversion tools available, and no change
> whatsoever in cvs will fix that, because it is not cvs that is in error
> here, but the conversion tools available.

As long as git is not the primary repository I guess one can live with
this issue.

Thanks

Michal