Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost>
wrote:
> [...]
> So the conversation has gone something like this...
>
> 1. this is a git repo of the NetBSD src repo (thanks, Petra)
> 2. performance is not great
> 3. that's because the "correct" protocol is not in use
> 4. Using the "correct" protocol puts much more load on the servers;
> more than we want at the current time
>
> 5. Also, the git pack files are too large
> 6. Make them smaller then
> 7. They can't be made smaller at the current time as that would add
> more load; more than we want at the current time
>
> 8. Also RCS keyword expansion is evil
> 9. Are the skies blue in your homeworld?
> 10. No really, they're evil, unnecessary, and unwanted
> 11. Ummm, this is new - and I, for one, would like keyword expansion
> 12. There is a plugin module to do this, it's unsupported because
> what you're doing is wrong
>
> 13.  And so to today's - we should kick out history from the repo and
> start again
> 14. I, for one, quite like having history available. After all, those
> who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it

(13) merely a question, as was splitting the tree in multiple
repository. I see you omitted that last point.

What bugs me from the summary you made is that we (I too) have just
been shooting at sight, without more thinking of what we were needing
(if we need something), how important it was, what was available and
how we could get somewhere.

 - Arnaud

ps: I've seen that hg convertion of the repository have also been
done, but I've not seen such a strong discussion taking place, did I
miss something ?