Re: Linux NFS client, NetBSD server, locking problems?

On Nov 20, 2009, at 12:11 AM, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>> I did some more testing. Locking seems to work but the problem
>> is probably only in Firefox. It behaves really strangely when
>> the profile is on NFS.
>
> Are you sure that is the cause? I use Linux desktop with an NFS mounted
> home directory at work. This setup doesn't cause any particular problems
> unless the NFS locking daemons on the Linux NFS server crash.
>
> Similar I'm using Firefox under Mac OS X with a home directory mounted
> from a NetBSD NFS server without problems.

Well, not 100% sure but that seems most likely. Firefox 3.5.5 seems
to work OK from Mac OS X 10.6.2 but not from Ubuntu 9.10. Same
server, same NFS directory. I think that tells something.. I could
try to install an older Ubuntu in a VM and see if it works better.
I think this problem started a few years ago, but I simply ignored
it by disabling locking from Linux. Now it popped up when I upgraded
Ubuntu and didn't remember to restore the old fstab.

Teemu