Re: usb flash drive removal (Re: Desktop NetBSD needs your help)

On Feb 15, 2009, at 1:24 AM, Michael van Elst wrote:
Also, an access LED does not discourage accidental
disconnection.

People easily understand that this is a bad thing to do. You just
have make sure that the system handles such an event gracefully.

You over-estimate the capabilities of the average person... 3 years ago, I worked with a fellow who has a masters degree in computer science. For 3 days he worked on a script to write log files to a USB stick and couldn't figure out why the logfile was always 0 length... Once I explained the requirement to unmount the device before pulling it out of the host, it all started working...