Re: NetBSD vs. FreeBSD

,--- You/Steven (Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:28:01 -0500) ----*
| For many things, gnash works well, though I've occasionally had to kill
| it manually when it hung my browser.  However, it doesn't handle the
| newer versions of flash, and more and more videos won't play with gnash.

For reference, how the problem was solved in FreeBSD:

* Flash 7 had been supported for a long time through a linux flash
  plugin (but I found gnash to be working better).

  (I don't know if NetBSD allows to run Linux binaries.)

* Which was not much good: most sites are running Flash 9 these days,
  so, the desire for Flash 9 had been very strong.

* About four months ago `linux-flashplugin-9' was added to the ports
  tree -- and the sound of cheer was overwhelming :-)

  It works perfectly (still with no sound, though, if I am not
  mistaken) in opera and linux-opera.

In any case, Flash 7 is practically "no Flush" these days, by common
opinion on FreeBSD lists (which I definitely share).

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --