Re: having problems using 'gethostbyname'

dldudley%gmail.com@localhost ("David Dudley") writes:

>ktrace is a pretty handy program!

>I'm including the output file to see if something can be figured from it.
>Looks to me like it tries to open a whole sequence of files
>unsuccessfully, and then fails.

nss_dns.so doesn't exist because the dns nameservice is handled
by libc internally. What you see looks like the libc code searching
for an nss module.

However:

 17068      1 edm      GIO   fd 2 wrote 38 bytes
       "Shared object \"nss_dns.so.0\" not found"

is strange, because libc doesn't print out such a message. Also,
the code should fall back to read /etc/hosts. I can only guess
that the edm program (maybe the libLog.so) itself searches
for nss modules.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost