Re: having problems using 'gethostbyname' ("David Dudley") writes:

>ktrace is a pretty handy program!

>I'm including the output file to see if something can be figured from it.
>Looks to me like it tries to open a whole sequence of files
>unsuccessfully, and then fails. doesn't exist because the dns nameservice is handled
by libc internally. What you see looks like the libc code searching
for an nss module.

 17068      1 edm      GIO   fd 2 wrote 38 bytes
       "Shared object \"\" not found"

is strange, because libc doesn't print out such a message. Also,
the code should fall back to read /etc/hosts. I can only guess
that the edm program (maybe the itself searches
for nss modules.

                                Michael van Elst