Re: pxeboot: heap full?

David Young wrote:
> Has there been a regression in PXE bootstrap?
>
> I am trying to PXE boot a kernel.  pxeboot_ia32.bin fails, printing
>
> heap full (0x137e8+2055051)
>
> The decimal number to the right of the plus sign is the size of my
> (gzipped) kernel, in decimal.  So it looks as if pxeboot tries to
> reserve space on the heap for the kernel, which fails.  If I am
> not mistaken, these flags in the pxeboot Makefile reserve only
> 128kB for the heap:
>
>       SAMISCCPPFLAGS+= -DHEAP_START=0x10000 -DHEAP_LIMIT=0x30000
>
> That seems like an extraordinarily small heap, if a kernel is
> supposed to fit in there.

The heap has been that size since 2002 at least, I suspect something
else has changed.  Perhaps the kernel wasn't always loaded onto the
heap, but something has changed so it does?

In the past few weeks the obvious things are clearing the screen
changes, and boot.cfg support added to pxeboot.

Might be useful to try see if going back a few weeks helps.

Thanks,
Chris