I've had some fun finding out why failed in src/lib/libz when crossbuilding from Linux. The failure was because the tools lint picked up the NetBSD in the obj dir instead of the system This in turn was because I had set LD_RUN_PATH to something that included "." when the tools lint was linked. Which leads me to the question:

Can be made to erase the environment, to not pick up random stuff?
(think 'env -i')?

FWIW, the effect of this can be seen at

 - Hubert