Lock up's on USB transfer

I just updated my system today and right now I am experiencing lock
ups of the machine. When I try to transfer lots of small files to an
USB stick, the machine freezes. It's not pingable anymore and I have
to turn it off. Writing to the USB stick with dd works fine for large
files. Any chance to get more information out of this?

habelu@lupin:habelu $ uname -a
NetBSD lupin 4.99.72 NetBSD 4.99.72 (GENERIC.fuse) #0: Wed Sep 10
11:51:02 CEST 2008
root@lupin:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.fuse i386

I updated the sources at 09:00 CEST, puffs is enabled.

Regards
Uli