Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 03:00:05PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 02:34:33PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > That's what I was guessing.
> >
> > I'm just concerned that having these spewed over the console screen
> > while sysinst is running will create a bad first impression, and such
> > impressions tend to count.  Not that we have a popularity contest to
> > win, but still, there's no need to make it even worse than it is...
>
> The same happens with other kernel message (like slow usb devices attaching),
> I think there is already a PR about it.
>
> Solutions are simple:
>
>  - make sysinst run on ttyE1 instead of console (I think FreeBSD does
>    something like that)

What about serial console (and and non-i386) systems?

>  - add a way to disable/enable kernel messages on the console and use
>    that in sysinst

sysinst already runs on /dev/constty (I think that is what it is called).
This is the same as /dev/console except that the redirect for console
output doesn't apply.
The existing sysinst intercepts console output while running commands
(using the same hook used by xconsole) and redisplays the data in the
curses screen.  This stops most of the screen spewage.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost