Re: wpa_supplicant before dhcpcd

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:44:38PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 08:14:24PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:27:36PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > > Let us use a more generic keyword than 'wpa', such as 'auth', 'authenc',
> > > or 'crypto'.
> >
> > I'd like to use auth, but I don't think wpa_supplicant can do 802.1x.
> > I might be wrong on that and it would be really nice if it can.
>
> It doesn't matter whether or how the features of open1x and wpa_supplicant
> overlap.

Well, in term of functionality wpa_supplicant provides two parts:
(1) Selection and configuration of wifi
(2) Port authentication

If the option is something like "auth" it should consistently provide
(2), which can be needed on wired LAN as well. Otherwise I agree with
the reasoning for why wpa might be bad as option name.

> > > Let ifconfig_xxN=dhcp activate on interface xxN either dhclient,
> > > dhcpcd, or whichever daemon is the DHCP client today.
> >
> > At least dhclient at the moment can't be used that way as it will bitch
> > if it is already running.
>
> Yes, it can.  I believe that your assumptions are different than mine.

ifconfig_bge0=dhcp
ifconfig_wpi0=dhcp

This can't easily work with dhclient as you can have only one instance
of dhclient at the same time.

Joerg