Re: wpa_supplicant before dhcpcd

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 09:52:54PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:44:38PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > > At least dhclient at the moment can't be used that way as it will bitch
> > > if it is already running.
> >
> > Yes, it can.  I believe that your assumptions are different than mine.
>
> ifconfig_bge0=dhcp
> ifconfig_wpi0=dhcp
>
> This can't easily work with dhclient as you can have only one instance
> of dhclient at the same time.

Why can you have only one instance?  Because dhclient has a control
socket, and multiple instances started using the same default socket
collide.

Why does dhclient have a control socket?  So that the running instance
can have changes made to it, like adding and removing interfaces,
releasing and restarting leases, etc.

How does this help rc configuration like this?  rc starts one
dhclient, and each of the ifconfig_* lines like above triggers the
appropriate helper which sends the appropriate control messages.

Since we're talking about assumptions, these are my assumptions (and I
suspect are close to David's) based on descriptions in dhclient and
omshell manpages.

--
Dan.