Re: wpa_supplicant before dhcpcd

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 08:14:24PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:27:36PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > Let us use a more generic keyword than 'wpa', such as 'auth', 'authenc',
> > or 'crypto'.
>
> I'd like to use auth, but I don't think wpa_supplicant can do 802.1x.
> I might be wrong on that and it would be really nice if it can.

It doesn't matter whether or how the features of open1x and wpa_supplicant
overlap.  I think that the ifconfig_xxN keywords should describe the
services you desire to run on the interface in a way that leaves some
flexibility in implementation.  I take the 'wpa' keyword to mean, "run
wpa_supplicant," which is a different thing than "use WPA," because
wpa_supplicant may control WEP, WPA, and/or WPA2.

> > Let ifconfig_xxN=dhcp activate on interface xxN either dhclient,
> > dhcpcd, or whichever daemon is the DHCP client today.
>
> At least dhclient at the moment can't be used that way as it will bitch
> if it is already running.

Yes, it can.  I believe that your assumptions are different than mine.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24