Re: postinstall wiped out my /etc/rc changes

On 3-May-08, at 9:52 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

I think it's more complex than that. It isn't obvious -- at least not
 to me -- which files in /etc are "owned" by the system (and hence are
 fair game for auto-replacement), and which are owned by the
administrator. (I raised similar questions a few months ago about the
 power management scripts.)  We need a clear, clean way to make that
 distinction, and to make it obvious to the community.

Like I said, anything that's a script or script fragment should be owned by the OS unless it has a name matching *.local. Pretty much everything else is owned by the local host.

That way all executable code can be updated by an upgrade without any manual intervention unless it was supposed to be locally modifiable. Everything else should be updated by etcupdate, unless of course there's some transformation which can safely be performed by postinstall without losing any customizations.

The trick is knowing in advance where these .local hooks are needed and perhaps in some cases maintaining some semblance of a fixed API for them too (e.g. dhclient scripts where environment variables are expected, or rc scripts where environment and perhaps also available functions are expected).

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>