Re: postinstall wiped out my /etc/rc changes

On Fri, 02 May 2008, Sverre Froyen wrote:
> etcupdate runs postinstall which prompted me to run postinstall fix
> rc.  Doing so reinstalled the original /etc/rc and wiped out my local
> modifications.

Yes, that's what "postinstall fix rc" is designed to do.  The output
from the earlier "postinstall check" (which was run by etcupdate) would
have included messages about which source files differed from your
installed files.

If there's a bug here, it's that the messages printed by "postinstall
check" were not clear enough to alert you to what would happen when
you ran "postinstall fix rc".  I expect that patches to improve that
situation would be welcome.

--apb (Alan Barrett)