Re: printer recommendations

Dennis den Brok wrote:
So, is there prospect of this being implemented soon? I recently
bought a Kyocera FS-1030D (also very recommendable, to stay on-topic)
and quickly got quite unsatisfied with printing on NetBSD. As for
myself I found implementing PPD support a little too time-consuming,
and don't know too much about printing anyways, I thought I'd come
up with a patch to make NetBSD's lpr compatible with foomatic-filters
(cf. pkgsrc/print/foomatic-filters, http://www.linuxprinting.org/),
which would be unintrusive. If under these circumstances there's still
interest in this, I could certainly produce a patch today or tomorrow.

What exactly is it that makes NetBSD's lpr/lpd incompatible with the foomatic-filters and foomatic-ppds packages from pkgsrc? Part of the reason I made those packages was because it was supposed to allow *any* printing system to use PPDs, e.g. for lpr/lpd:

myqueue|My local Kyocera printer:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :af=/usr/pkg/share/foomatic/ppd/Kyocera/Kyocera-FS-1010-ljet4.ppd:\
    :if=/usr/pkg/bin/foomatic-rip:\
    :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
    :mx#0:sh:

See the following link for more details:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/LPDDocumentation

I have not personally used Foomatic with anything other than CUPS (which I do highly recommend for the JFW factor), but according to its documentation, Foomatic should still be usable by folks who prefer lpr/lpd or LPRng.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny C. Lam