Re: printer recommendations

Perry E. Metzger <perry%piermont.com@localhost> schrieb:
> I looked at this a while back and the functionality to properly handle
> modern postscript printers via PPD didn't look bad at all (the specs
> are available online from adobe, btw), and ipp is fairly
> straightforward (it is based on http and there is plenty of code to
> steal). Given those, there would be very little incentive for anyone
> to use CUPS most of the time.

So, is there prospect of this being implemented soon? I recently
bought a Kyocera FS-1030D (also very recommendable, to stay on-topic)
and quickly got quite unsatisfied with printing on NetBSD. As for
myself I found implementing PPD support a little too time-consuming,
and don't know too much about printing anyways, I thought I'd come
up with a patch to make NetBSD's lpr compatible with foomatic-filters
(cf. pkgsrc/print/foomatic-filters, http://www.linuxprinting.org/),
which would be unintrusive. If under these circumstances there's still
interest in this, I could certainly produce a patch today or tomorrow.

--
Dennis den Brok