Re: printer recommendations

christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) writes:
> | IPP and PPD files are why I use CUPS. As I said, NetBSD's lpr really
> | needs to handle both to work in the modern world well.
>
> We could fix that... I spent a lot of time wondering why lpq, lpd etc.
> stopped working after I installed CUPS, and did not realize I was using
> /usr/pkg/bin/lpr instead of /usr/bin/lpr.

I looked at this a while back and the functionality to properly handle
modern postscript printers via PPD didn't look bad at all (the specs
are available online from adobe, btw), and ipp is fairly
straightforward (it is based on http and there is plenty of code to
steal). Given those, there would be very little incentive for anyone
to use CUPS most of the time.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost