Re: wpi(4) driver in -current

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:20:36 +0000
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:28:39 -0400
> "Alexander V. Butenko" <alex%digiqube.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Guys, maybe anybody using wpi with netbsd?
> > I have problem with WPA and WEP networks.
> > Laptop can connect to WPA networks but connection is very unstable.
> > All the time it disconnects from network during 1-5-20 minutes of
> > work.
> >
> > According to a WEP networks it cant connect to them at all.
> >
> > Another problem that network scanner is not working as well. All it
> > cant find any networks even if im standing right near accesspoint.
> >
> > Maybe somebody have a patches or a workarounds which i can try to
> > test?
> >
> > My pc is Sony Vaio UX50. Its an UMPC with wpi wireless on the board.
> >
> It's working well for me with WEP on my Thinkpad T61.  I haven't tried
> WPA.

I had said it worked well.  I was too optimistic...

It works decently at home.  In my office -- whether it's because
there's more traffic or there are more access points -- I frequently
get

        wpi0: fatal firmware error

at which point I have to ifconfig down/up the interface.

Oddly enough, I almost always get that, even at home, when I start up
X.  That is, the interface comes up at boot time properly, but when I
log in and start X (I don't use xdm), the interface dies.  Some sort of
timing problem or interrupt mask problem, perhaps?  (This is a T61
running -current from 25 Jan, with up-to-date firmware -- and it
appears to be newer firmware than is available on the official web
site...)