Re: Adding asm examples

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 04:59:12PM -0500, Julio Merino wrote:
> And, obviously, I think the opposite.  These examples are not related to
> the NetBSD source tree.  They are something that is supposed to be
> shipped with NetBSD, to be used as support material for proper
> documentation (which we could ideally have in the form of manpages,
> pointing to the relevant sample files from the examples section).
>
> What you are basically saying is that, in order to use these examples,
> you must have the source tree.  That does not seem like a great idea
> because you should be able to use the examples without ever wanting to
> build NetBSD itself: they are intended for the end user or developer of
> third-party applications, not for the developer of the system.  (We
> could as well not install the manpages because, well, you can read them
> from the source tree too.  Or we could get rid of
> /usr/share/misc/operator again?)

I am not sure whether I follow. To me it seems that you are also trying to
test something with these examples (i.e. src/tests/examples/t_asm.sh). We've
discussed toolchain/assembly/etc. -specific tests in PR toolchain/44848.
I think a little more discussion should be devoted to the question on how
to build a consistent and maintainable test setup for assembly, linking, etc.

- Jukka.