Re: Adding asm examples

On 11/14/11 5:11 PM, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 04:59:12PM -0500, Julio Merino wrote:
>> And, obviously, I think the opposite.  These examples are not related to
>> the NetBSD source tree.  They are something that is supposed to be
>> shipped with NetBSD, to be used as support material for proper
>> documentation (which we could ideally have in the form of manpages,
>> pointing to the relevant sample files from the examples section).
>>
>> What you are basically saying is that, in order to use these examples,
>> you must have the source tree.  That does not seem like a great idea
>> because you should be able to use the examples without ever wanting to
>> build NetBSD itself: they are intended for the end user or developer of
>> third-party applications, not for the developer of the system.  (We
>> could as well not install the manpages because, well, you can read them
>> from the source tree too.  Or we could get rid of
>> /usr/share/misc/operator again?)
>
> I am not sure whether I follow. To me it seems that you are also trying to
> test something with these examples (i.e. src/tests/examples/t_asm.sh). We've

Those tests are there to ensure that the example builds cleanly and runs
as expected.  Building sample code as part of the tests is a
prerequisite to ensure that the sample code remains sane; otherwise, it
may break for who-knows-what-reason and nobody will notice :-/

Note that the same can be said about all the sample configuration files
in /usr/share/examples/.  We should have automated tests to (at least)
parse those files with the corresponding tools to ensure they are valid.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv