Re: "up to date at all costs" is a failed approach

* On 2024-07-15 at 19:52 BST, Rob Whitlock wrote:

How would this be different from the quarterly stable branches?

I currently actively sit in two different open source worlds, where the development approaches could not be more different.

In the NetBSD/pkgsrc world, changes are made ad-hoc to a development branch that may or may not be complete or fully tested. Then, after a certain period of time, the tree is frozen and subsequently branched as a new release once any known issues are ironed out.

In the illumos world, there is the principle of First Customer Ship (FCS) quality all the time, inherited from Sun. It basically means you should be able to cut the tree at any point in time and ship it directly to customers with full confidence that it has no outstanding bugs. Changes are never made to the tree until they have been fully reviewed and considered complete.

  https://www.illumos.org/docs/contributing/quality/

Basically I want a tree that is closer to the Sun/illumos model, but using automated builds for the majority of the review process. It would essentially be a rolling stable release, where you can be confident that every package will build correctly everywhere, at the cost of not always having bleeding edge versions available.

Personally I wouldn't use the "stable" nomenclature for the pkgsrc branches. "Snapshot" is probably a more accurate term. There's no guarantee, certainly on platforms other than NetBSD, that a pkgsrc branch will contain more working packages and fewer bugs than any other arbitrary point-in-time of the tree.

What would the consequences of it being "considered fatal" be? Does that mean the package would be immediately pulled from the tree?

In this world a package or update would never enter the tree until it has been verified to build correctly on all supported platforms. The emphasis is on correctness and true stability, rather than the latest version at all cost.

It's a very very different development model to the one that folks in this community are used to, and I expect most people on this list will disagree with it. That's fine. However, if anyone is interested and would like to work on it with me, I'd be happy to talk, as like nia I've been burned out for a long time trying to keep up with pkgsrc breakage.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com