Re: "up to date at all costs" is a failed approach

On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 10:30:32PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> In this world a package or update would never enter the tree until it has
> been verified to build correctly on all supported platforms.  The emphasis
> is on correctness and true stability, rather than the latest version at all
> cost.
>
> It's a very very different development model to the one that folks in this
> community are used to, and I expect most people on this list will disagree
> with it.  That's fine.  However, if anyone is interested and would like to
> work on it with me, I'd be happy to talk, as like nia I've been burned out
> for a long time trying to keep up with pkgsrc breakage.

This is a really attractive model for me, at this point,
I've been too burned working on getting things to work well then
seeing it all spiral out of control.

I would like more extensive versioning at major upgrade points too -
for example, the last autotools version of glib2 would be really
nice to have. More than enough for building software like irssi
and mc, and much nicer for cross-compiling and portability.