Re: "up to date at all costs" is a failed approach

On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 at 01:41, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> wrote:
* On 2024-07-14 at 23:51 BST, nia wrote:

>any plans?

For many years I've wanted a slower-paced pkgsrc branch where only
tested changes get merged, and any regressions on any platform are
considered fatal.

If enough people were interested in this then I'd be happy to help
co-ordinate and set up supporting infrastructure.  In the past there
just wasn't any interest.

I may be wrong, but for certain use cases, I'm sure there is heaps of interest

Like -

+ anything internet-facing where resources are constrained
+ long uptimes are desirable or necessary
+ spinning up new instances/machines is difficult/impossible
+ but quick responses to security issues are also a must

I'm aware that you previously maintained long-term branches - can you share your experience with that?

Also, I imagine this is potentially a time-sink - can you help us understand what we'd need to do to back in you in this?

Thanks,
Al