Re: MAKE_JOBS.devel/cmake ineffective

Am Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 09:02:56PM -0400 schrieb Greg Troxel:

> A nit: I would think that the PKG_MAKE_JOBS or PKG_BUILD_JOBS variable
> would apply equally to the install phase, and might also apply to core
> usage in pigz in package creation, and some future parallelization of
> wrapper generation and patching.

There is no library implementation of parallel gzip, so that won't
happen. We could in principle hook up parallel LZMA compression, but the
number of packages were it matters enough is small. Wrapper generation
is IO bound, patching desires order.

We have historically not used parallel installation, because (1) it is
IO bound (2) it has an increased chance of stupid race conditions. There
are some exceptionally stupid packages that do every thing in the install
phase and some modern build systems repeat those mistakes, but those are
broken by design, IMO.

Joerg