Re: Time to change defaults for PKG_DBDIR

On 4/30/22 07:35, Greg Troxel wrote:
David Brownlee<abs%absd.org@localhost>  writes:

I think it is time to change the default PKG_DBDIR to $PREFIX/pkgdb rather
than the current transitional "use /var/db/pkg is present, else
$PREFIX/pkgdb"
(First, this is I think only about NetBSD.)

We should note that there can be multiple pkgsrc trees on any system
including NetBSD.

E.g. on my NetBSD installations, I install a few general tools via
binary packages in /usr/pkg, but do all my development work in
non-privileged trees under ~/Pkgsrc.

The default behavior doesn't affect me since my auto-pkgsrc-setup script
always sets PKG_DBDIR in mk.conf, but always defaulting to /var/db/pkg
could cause problems for people manually bootstrapping additional trees.