Re: py-cryptography soon will need rust

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:35:29 +0200
Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> I wanted to update py-cryptography to the latest version, since it's
> security-related software and we should be tracking head. This is not
> used by much software in pkgsrc, but notably by py-certbot, a software
> for keeping your Let's Encrypt-certificates up-to-date.

Users on small footprint systems probably use (or should use)
security/acmesh for this instead, so I don't consider that
particular package a blocker.

> lang/rust on NetBSD supports aarch64*, armv7, i386, powerpc, sparc64,
> x86_64, so it covers quite a number of platforms already. Building
> rust itself takes a lot of resources, but we also have lang/rust-bin
> using pre-built binaries.

This is first and foremost an LLVM limitation. At some point in
the future Rust-GCC should become a viable alternative.
FWIW I was able to build wip/py-cryptography on aarch64 with
ulimit -v 1048576; ulimit -m 1048576.
rustc needs around 900 MB. Should be OK on 512 MB (like old RPi)
with some swap I think.