Re: Bulk builds do not run on NetBSD 9.2

On 08/12, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 06:18:10AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:50:06PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> >  > On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 02:17:20PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >  > > That's sort of true, but as I see it there are two reasonable setups:
> >  > >
> >  > >   1) base system does not have *any* support for pkgsrc, and you unpack a
> >  > >   bootstrap kit which is self consistent
> >  > >
> >  > >   2) base system has pkgsrc tools that are configured the same way as
> >  > >   standard builds, so that base tools and standard build tools work
> >  > >   together
> >  >
> >  > So far I have heard two arguments for why NetBSD is doing (2), even
> >  > ignoring the classic "It has always been that way":
> >  >
> >  > 1) Hope that syspkgs becomes a reality.
> >  > 2) Because pkgsrc must be special on NetBSD.
> >  >
> >  > Neither argument is good and I'd strongly argue that the second one has
> >  > even created more harm than good both for NetBSD and pkgsrc.
> >
> > No, the reason is so that things work out of the box. I have yet to
> > understand why you and a few other people have been calling for years
> > to break it.
>
> Funny. We have this discuss ever so often because it does NOT work out
> of the box, especially down the line of a release cycle. But I'll leave
> it here as rehashing the discussion again is not a good use of the few
> spare cycles I have.

I think pkgsrc tools should be removed from NetBSD, and NetBSD should be
treated just like any other OS.  This is basically Greg's "reasonable
setup" #1 above and is consistent with Joerg's comments.  To me, the
main problem with bundling pkgsrc tools in NetBSD is that it violates
the DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle of software development: when
you have more than one authoritative source of something, you invariably
run into problems related to that when they get out of sync, or you have
to spend more time making a change because you have to make the same
change in more than one place.

Lewis