Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

>> This very use-case (xymon depending on rrdtool depending on dejavu-ttf
>> depending on X11) has actually been discussed here before:
>> <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2011/10/17/msg007803.html> ff.
>> Except back then, the use of mkfontdir did not yet trigger an X11
>> dependency.
>
> Can pkgtasks/fonts.mk be adjusted to have something in the form of
> PKG_UPDATE_FONTS_DB=auto, which would run mkfontdir if present but not
> require it, plus logic in fonts/mkfontscale to run mkfontdir after
> install, so installing a bunch of fonts then fonts/mkfontscale can
> DTRT.

It seems that the discussion was about X11BASE vs LOCALBASE.  And what's
being triggered is not an 'X11 dependency' in that it doesn't cause all
of X11 to be built, but a dependency on mkfontscale, which is a small
program.

But, if it makes conceptual sense to have fonts installed for some uses
without the extra metadata dirs, and we can do that in a way that will
preserve the consistency properties that matter, that's a reasonable
thing to consider.

What abs@ suggested seems to meet that, basically saying that output
created my mkfontdir is a mkfontdir-world thing, detached from the
fonts, and then we need INSTALL/DEINSTALL steps  so that any sequencing
of package installations ends up in the same state regardles of
ordering, depending only on the installe set at the moment.
At least I think that's was meant.