updated pkgdb instructions

From Greg Troxel and my last post:

> > What happens if user moves /usr/pkg, /usr/packages, /var/db/pkg and
> > /var/db/pkg.refcount to backup locations?

> I have no idea what /usr/packages is.

> If you move aside your entire pkgsrc setup, and you have new tools, then
> everything should happen in /usr/pkg/pkgdb.  But if you don't, or have a
> mix, then it could be messy.  I would mkdir /usr/pkg/pkgdb and
> /usr/pkg/pkgdb.refcount and then run the script with the fix option to
> cause PKG_DBDIR lines to be added that say that /usr/pkg/pkgdb is the
> database.

> > I figure I need to start packages anew because of the current
> > condition, also the desire to switch from modular xorg to native xorg.

> You might need to and you might not.  Up to you to start fresh vs try to
> make it work.

I thought /usr/packages was the default location where packages built from pkgsrc were kept, though I note that in /etc/mk.conf .

But I believe old packages that are replaced, updated or deleted persist in this directory.

I would have to make sure not to have any directory /var/db/pkg or /var/db/pkg.refcount , and be sure to edit /etc/mk.conf .

I had big troubles updating packages due to pkg_rolling-replace not keeping things straight.

Another factor was transition from Python 2.7 to 3.x ; this proved troublesome with other package systems as well, including FreeBSD ports and Gentoo portage.

I might not need the script but would want to look through it for reference.

Tom