Re: Testing mksh as bootstrap shell

* On 2020-06-24 at 20:25 BST, Robert Elz wrote:

>     Date:        Wed, 24 Jun 2020 15:07:46 +0100
>     From:        Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost>
>
>   |   /opt/pkg/bin/mksh: ulimit: -m: unknown option
>
> Actually, -m looks to be one of those ulimit options accepted, with
> the same meaning, more or less everywhere (I didn't check every shell).
> That includes mksh,
>
> If mksh on solaris doesn't implement that option, then either solaris
> has no way to do it, or mksh hasn't learned the solaris method.  In
> the latter case, I'd expect the mksh maintainers would welcome a patch
> to make it work there.

Thanks!  Good to know.  It seems that most shells try to be compatible
with what the native system provides, and so far I'm unaware of any
issues we've had with hardcoding the various ULIMIT_CMD_* options in
our mk/platform/*.mk files.  It would be a bit awkward if we had to
make these differ on a per-shell basis rather than per-platform.

Hopefully this is just an issue in mksh that can be resolved, I was
just a little wary that I hit something like this so early in the bulk
build.  Since then though things are looking pretty good.

FWIW this is on macOS, not Solaris.  On Solaris mksh appears to do the
right thing, supporting -v but not -m which matches the native shells.
However on macOS both -m and -v are supported by native shells, but
only -v by mksh.