Re: MacOS issues with devel/glibc2, devel/gobject-introspection, devel/pango

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 12:06 PM, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> * On 2020-02-16 at 18:40 GMT, Brook Milligan wrote:
>
>> Just for reference, are your MacOS builds on systems with SIP
>> enabled?  Can you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH into your shell
>> environment?  (I cannot with SIP enabled.)
>>
>> I think you are correct that pkgsrc uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH when
>> needed.  However, SIP removes that from the environment, so it does
>> not help in situations like this.  I believe that is why I can build
>> these packages with SIP disabled, but not when enabled.
>
> None of my build machines enable SIP, it breaks any possibility to
> create sandboxes which are required for builds.  My desktop is
> SIP-enabled, but that only installs the binary packages that are
> produced on the non-SIP build machines, I don't build on it.
>
> I guess that's the problem then.  I wasn't aware it also disabled use
> of {DY,}LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Yes, it does.  That explains the difference between our results.

So, should the guidance be, “Disable SIP on MacOS”?  If so, that needs to be documented somewhere.

However, the default is that SIP is enabled, so it would be nice to solve the underlying problem so that this does not continually trip up users.

Cheers,
Brook