Re: MacOS issues with devel/glibc2, devel/gobject-introspection, devel/pango

* On 2020-02-16 at 19:39 GMT, Brook Milligan wrote:

> > On Feb 16, 2020, at 12:06 PM, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > * On 2020-02-16 at 18:40 GMT, Brook Milligan wrote:
> >
> >> Just for reference, are your MacOS builds on systems with SIP
> >> enabled?  Can you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH into your shell
> >> environment?  (I cannot with SIP enabled.)
> >>
> >> I think you are correct that pkgsrc uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH when
> >> needed.  However, SIP removes that from the environment, so it does
> >> not help in situations like this.  I believe that is why I can build
> >> these packages with SIP disabled, but not when enabled.
> >
> > None of my build machines enable SIP, it breaks any possibility to
> > create sandboxes which are required for builds.  My desktop is
> > SIP-enabled, but that only installs the binary packages that are
> > produced on the non-SIP build machines, I don't build on it.
> >
> > I guess that's the problem then.  I wasn't aware it also disabled use
> > of {DY,}LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Yes, it does.  That explains the difference between our results.
>
> So, should the guidance be, “Disable SIP on MacOS”?  If so, that
> needs to be documented somewhere.

That seems entirely reasonable to me.  SIP breaks lots of things that
advanced users on macOS rely on, like DTrace, and I would classify
manually building pkgsrc as belonging to that category.

It's worth mentioning that this is only for building.  Installing
pkgsrc binary packages has no such requirement.