MacOS issues with devel/glibc2, devel/gobject-introspection, devel/pango

I am returning to the problem of meson and Gnome on MacOS.  At least three packages (devel/glibc2, devel/gobject-introspection, and devel/pango) build introspection data during the package builds using programs also compiled during the package build.  These programs are built with meson and include rpath information in the binaries/libraries.  Because of the way this works, the uninstalled binaries will not run on MacOS because the rpath information is incorrect at that point and the loader complains about “image not found”.

If the same packages are built with Apple’s security SIP disabled, everything works fine.  I assume that this is because the use of, for example, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and friends, is not ignored when SIP is disabled but that when it is enabled the path to the not-yet-installed libraries is ignored.

How shall this issue be addressed by pkgsrc?  Does anyone know how to make MacOS have the right information so that it just works?  Should these be marked as broken on some versions of MacOS (I’m doing this on Catalina) so at least we can have a sensible error message?

Suggestions welcome, especially if someone knows how to fix this correctly.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Brook