Re: www/firefox-esr instead of www/firefox[0-9]*

On Tue 17 Dec 2019 at 13:49:31 -0600, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> On 12/17, nia wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:46:39PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > > I again don't follow why our choice of PKGPATH or PKGNAME has anything
> > > to do with these problems.
> >
> > 'pkgin upgrade' doesn't work. At all. You get stuck with an insecure,
> > unsupported release until you explicitly do:
> >
> > `pkgin remove firefox60`
> > `pkgin install firefox68`
> >
> > Then migrate your profile.
>
> +1.  IMO, this gets to the heart of the matter and is what's important.
> I want 'pkgin upgrade' to work correctly.  I don't want to have a set
> of packages that are special that I have to keep track of and before
> every upgrade check and see what's the latest version, and then switch
> to that version.  Instead, I just want to be able to say, "I want the
> latest stable version of this package always," and that should mean that

There could be a meta-package called "firefox-esr", which depends only
on "firefox-esrXX" for the latest XX. In fact, the same could be done
for "firefox", depending on a "firefoxXX" package.

You get automatic updates this way, unless the user specifically
installs firefox-esrXX or firefoxXX.

Disadvantage is that whoever adds a new firefox(-esr)XX, must remember
to to adjust the meta package as well.

-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on