Re: www/firefox-esr instead of www/firefox[0-9]*

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:46:39PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > The idea is that the latest ESR release should always be
> > firefox-esr, while any versions that we're keeping around that are no
> > longer supported upstream can retain the version suffix. Basically,
> > that means firefox52.
>
> This ignores the notion of the norm for always versioned or never
> versioned.

The norm was established for programming languages and server software that
has support cycles lasting years, e.g. Python 3.6 will be supported until 2021
while 3.7 and 3.8 are also supported. Firefox doesn't operate in the same way.
The FF major version is bumped every few weeks or months and the previous version
is immediately unsupported. That applies to Mozilla's "Standard" and "Extended
Support Release" branches.

Versions that aren't the currently supported ESR are only kept long term
in exceptional circumstances (e.g. the switch of programming language),
because their use is an actual security problem.

Even then, are `nginx` and `nginx-devel` always-or-never-versioned?
Two concurrent branches with upstream support...

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:46:39PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I again don't follow why our choice of PKGPATH or PKGNAME has anything
> to do with these problems.

'pkgin upgrade' doesn't work. At all. You get stuck with an insecure,
unsupported release until you explicitly do:

`pkgin remove firefox60`
`pkgin install firefox68`

Then migrate your profile.