Re: pkgsrc patches for Darwin 17.3.0

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 10:11 AM, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> tl;dr please hold off on all of these at least until after the branch

I'm happy to do that, but I hope we can resolve these problems eventually.

> * On 2018-03-29 at 15:18 BST, Brook Milligan wrote:
>
>> Both of these packages have the same problem; the -nonet option to
>> xsltproc prevents downloading certain files.  For example, the
>> following error occurs (along with analogous ones for other files):
>
> This one has already been addressed, and we should figure out the
> correct fix instead of this workaround.

Addressed in the sense of an earlier thread existing, but not in the sense of an actual fix.  See my other note regarding what is blocking me to work constructively on this.

>> ==========================
>> packages requiring libintl
>> ==========================
>>
>> At least on this system, several packages require libintl but lack a dependency on level/gettext-lib.
>
> I think this is due to a missing gettext-lib in one of the dependency
> buildlink3's, possibly fontconfig.  That should be fixed instead (it
> may already have been IIRC).

Neither fontconfig nor freetype2 seem to have this in their buildlink3.mk files.  I can test whether or not that would fix it.

>> packages incorrectly using a native libXft
>>
>> As described in http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2018/03/28/msg019575.html, some packages incorrectly select a native libXft with pig-config and consequently fail.  One solution seems to be to add the following to etc/mk.conf:
>>
>> PREFER_PKGSRC+=  Xft2 freetype2 fontconfig
>>
>> However, I note that mk/defaults/mk.conf has the following snippet:
>>
>> # The default PREFER_PKGSRC should be empty, but due to historical reasons we have the list below.
>> # Please add your platform here once you have confirmed it is correct
>> .if ${OPSYS} == "OpenBSD" || ${OPSYS} == "Bitrig"
>
> Yes, this section is horrendously broken, but now is not the time to
> fix it.  None of it should be there, so please don't add more
> workarounds.  The correct fix is to ensure the builtin.mk for each
> package is correct, but that should be done post-branch.

That makes sense.  However, these builtin.mk files seem out of my league, so I hope others will pick this up.

Cheers,
Brook