x11/libXft, graphics/freetype2, and pkg-config

I am trying to build the current version of x11/libXft on MacOS v10.13.2 and am running into what I believe is inconsistent behavior on the part of graphics/freetype2.  As a dependency for a variety of packages (e.g., fontconfig, qt4-libs, etc.), the freetype2 package is installed.    However, the configure process for libXft calls pkg-config, which finds the built-in version of freetype2 and so the configuration fails.  Specifically, libXft/work/.buildlink/lib/pkgconfig/freetype2.pc is a symbolic link to /opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig/freetype2.pc not to the pkgsrc file.  Given that the pkgsrc version of freetype2 is used elsewhere, I would have expected it to be used here as well.

Any suggestions on how to fix this are welcome, especially before the current freeze is complete.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Brook