Re: pkgsrc gcc discussion #3874

On 01/01/18 17:23, Greg Troxel wrote:
coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:

I'm assuming GCC 5 or 6 is a good choice now, but we should probably
decide when it is OK to change this number eventually.
Let's assume we pick gcc5 now.  We would change to gcc6 when the weight
of evidence/opinion (ideally from bulk builds both ways) indicates that
users are better off with the choice of gcc6.  It's basically a race
between packages that are so new that they need 6, and those that
haven't gotten updates to be able to work with 6.

This seems conceptually similar to how we change the default version of
php.  I expect this will have some on-list discussion, and perhaps pmc
will make a call.  This doesn't seem worrisome.

Do you think it's harder than how I describe it?

Maintaining platform-specific defaults for PKGSRC_G*_VERSION seems like a good idea, along with visibly documenting the fact that they can be set by the user at bootstrap time (and changing them afterward may require rebuilding all installed packages).

I think providing these variables is by far the best way to satisfy the needs of widely varying platforms and use cases.

It will also make it easy for anyone to experiment and provide the feedback we need to determine reasonable defaults in the future.

--
Earth is a beta site.