Re: Improve STRIP_DEBUG

LGTM. Some minor nits:

> [ ! -h "$${f}" ]

I think we're going to have to look for some abstraction for test(1)
options - NetBSD (-current) has:

   -h file
          True if file exists and is a symbolic link.
   -L file
          True if file exists and is a symbolic link. This operator is
retained for compatibility with previous
          versions of this program. Do not rely on its existence; use
-h instead.

while FreeBSD (-current) has:

     -h file       True if file exists and is a symbolic link.  This operator
                   is retained for compatibility with previous versions of
                   this program.  Do not rely on its existence; use -L
                   instead.
     -L file       True if file exists and is a symbolic link.

> + tmp_f="$${f}.XXX"; \

I'd be happier, in these security-concious days, with using mktemp(1)
across the board, and bootstrapping if necessary, or maybe even
"mktemp -d"

Best,
Alistair