Re: pkgsrc gcc discussion #3874

On 12/31/17 10:52, Greg Troxel wrote:
Jason Bacon <bacon4000%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

On 12/31/17 03:01, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 03:28:12PM -0600, Jason Bacon wrote:
Is there any advantage to using base 4.8 for C besides avoiding the gcc
dependency until a C++ package is built?
yes, not needing support for the latest pkgsrc gcc.
Lack of support for gcc packages is a non-option for RHEL/CentOS.
They're among the most important benefits pkgsrc provides on these
platforms.

So maybe this logic should only be enabled for certain platforms where
the gcc packages are essential.
I didn't mean 'not needing support'.

What I meant is that on platforms where base gcc is ok for C, it would
be nice if people who are not building anything in C++ don't have to
incur the cost of building the gcc5 package

I didn't mean to couple that at all with "building gcc from pkgsrc won't
work".

If you are taking care of Linux and want to force both C and C++ to the
same, built from pkgsrc, versions, then I don't have any basis to
question your judgement.

I realize that fortran adds to the mix, and that perhaps people also
want to build pkgsrc gcc to get gfortran, and this may lead to
PKGSRC_GFORTRAN_VERSION.

I also realize that this might or might not turn into "the number of
actual people helped by avoiding a new compiler for C will be nearly
zero, so let's skip the complexity".

However, there's another wrinkle, with copyu@ pointed out to me in
private mail, which is that on some platforms, pkgsrc gcc doesn't build.
There, I think we have to just let things be as they are and not impose
the new behavior.

Yeah, I can imagine it would be hard to maintain the gcc packages on some of the tier II platforms.  I've suspected all along that this logic would only apply to the more mainstream architectures and operating systems.

I had issues with gcc packages on RHEL 5, which delayed my full reliance on pkgsrc for a couple years.  Things were clearly better when we switched to CentIOS 6 and I'm much more confident about Linux support now.

--
Earth is a beta site.