Re: pkgsrc gcc discussion #3874

Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:54:34AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> Jason Bacon <bacon4000%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>>
>> > But how many people use pkgsrc and never build a C++ package?
>>
>> I think if you use pkgsrc on an odd arch, on  a very small computer, and
>> only build a few things, to make a firewall box usable, then you might
>> well not need to build C++.  But I agree that it's unclear if this
>> population is big enough to worry about.
>
> Slightly off topic, but wasn't the point of dab(6) to get a C++ program
> into NetBSD base? (Admitedly, you don't need the games set on a firewall,
> bar tetris.)

I think we should have been saying C++11, not C++.  Base system
compilers tend to be ok with C++03.  The issue isn't really C++, but the
time delay between when a NetBSD release with a particular gcc happened
and when significant upstream packages don't build with those gcc
versions.

But, this is rapidly becoming the same thing as upstreams of packages in
C++ are tending to allow use of C++11 features.