Re: pkgsrc gcc discussion #3874

Jason Bacon <bacon4000%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On 12/30/17 12:30, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:

>>> - globally use a newer compiler
>>> - use the newest compiler that exists (I recall having a patch for it
>>>    that wasn't well-received because it was too much magic)
>> Can you comment against the analysis and plan in
>>    https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/gcc/
>>
>> this has been pretty confusing and I've tried to distll all the previous
>> discussion.  We have more or less settled on picking a version for
>> C, and for C++, and always using those versions.
>>
>> I think the big question is whether the C version and C++ version have
>> to match.  Or if it's ok to use e.g. base 4.8 for C and pkgsrc 5 for C++
>> on NetBSD 7.
>>
>> But, if it's mostly ok, and we later decide it's not really ok (maybe
>> when we deal with fortran), that probably won't hurt much, compared to
>> not starting.

> Is there any advantage to using base 4.8 for C besides avoiding the
> gcc dependency until a C++ package is built?

I believe that is the only advantage.  I don't know how much it matters.

C seems to support version mixing.  The big trouble is programs in C
that link with libraries that provide a C interface but are implemented
in C++ (e.g. libspatialite in C which links again geos).  So the
question is how icky patching around that (to use the higher version)
is, compared to the saved pain of others building a compiler they didn't
really need.