Re: py-bsddb3 (was Re: BAD Python compilation directives)

On 26/01/17 14:36, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   AGPL3 terms are only triggered by redistribution or making available
>   over a network.

"Only" is quite a big area in the internet and cloud world. AGPL3
affects you if you provide a service via Internet. In fact, currently
the norm is to provide a service online instead of giving the program to
the user, so AGPL3 would probably affect programmers far more than a
relicensing to GPL3 (that does not apply if you don't distribute the
program).

In simple works, if my chat server is AGPL3 and can be accessible thru
the net (obvious for a chat server), I MUST provide the source. That
licensing is far stronger than regular GPL3 and the reason Oracle chosen it.

Suddenly, the proprietary chat code running in my server that uses
GPL/LGPL libraries but I don't care because I am not distributing the
program to the users, but "only" providing a service via Internet, must
published in the net because the AGLP3, that I inherit via a random
library upgrade I am not aware of, requires it.

And Oracle is pretty well known for its licensing policies and
enforcement :).

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea%jcea.es@localhost - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/