Re: [wip] Re: electricsheep-svn: Switch to git

On 25.09.2016 16:14, John D. Baker wrote:
> Unfortunately, the git repo for electricsheep is not publicly accessible:
>
> [...]
> ===> Extracting for electricsheep-2.7nb20160925
> => Cloning GIT archive client.
> Permission denied (publickey).
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.
> *** Error code 128
>
> Stop.
> make[1]: stopped in /x/pkgsrc/wip/electricsheep-git
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /x/pkgsrc/wip/electricsheep-git

The repos are shipped on GitHub. This hosting site provides two types of
access: for users (via ssh) and for everybody else (https). I was
switching several repos from git: to https:, but these changes were
reverted, I think due to SSL cert issues at that time.

I'm going to add support for both solutions in git-package.mk.

> Admittedly, the old SVN repo had not been accessible after 17 May 2014,
> but I could still link my archived copy of the last checkout into
> "../../distfiles/svn-packages" and have it build from that.
>
> Even if a publicly-accessible git repo were provided, the patches would
> likely no-longer apply (as with "dfu-util-git").
>
> There is also the issue that the old SVN copy still used 'mplayer' to
> display while the HEAD revision had switched to using OpenGL directly,
> preventing some (many?) platforms from using it.

It's possible to use the pkgsrc mainline framework to fetch older tags
from GitHub and ship an older versions with a good reason - mplayer
front-end might be one.

Please have a look at graphics/adaptagrams for an example of this.

> Perhaps a package fetching the last mplayer-using version should be
> implemented?

It makes sense.