Re: First go at adding GCC_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED support

On 10/10/15 22:50, David Sainty wrote:
On 10/10/15 10:27, atomicules wrote:
Perhaps I should have come up with a better subject line when I started this because here's my second attempt at *not* adding GCC_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED support, but instead just seeing if there are any gcc versions installed that are equal to or greater than GCC_REQD and if there is, it uses the highest version available.

I think you're not intending this as something to commit yet, but I just want to mention that this style of solution is probably wrong for C++. The problem with C++ is that, depending on package build ordering, packages may end up linking with multiple stdc++ libraries (and including different c++ includes) from different compilers.

The current GCC_REQD behaviour avoids this problem (at a hefty cost). I believe PKGSRC_GCC_MIN also avoids this problem, so long as PKGSRC_GCC_MIN doesn't get changed (!?).

... and assuming that PKGSRC_GCC_MIN dictates the specific compiler to use (E.g. if PKGSRC_GCC_MIN=4.8 and GCC_REQD=4.7, and gcc50 is installed and gcc48 is not, we still use 4.8, not 5.0).