Re: postgis2 trying to set install permissions, right fix?

Filip Hajny <filip%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

>> So therefore I probably should be patching postgresqlXX-client to drop
>> the -u -g from pgxs.mk, or perhaps to make postgis not use pgxs.mk.
>>

> This doesn’t normally become a problem because it’s assumed both the
> client and the postgis2 package are built as the same user. E.g. our
> postgresql94-client has "bsdinstall -c -o pbulk -g pbulk”. Did you
> build the client package yourself on the same setup, or using a binary
> package from elsewhere?
>
> Otherwise omitting the ownership bits sounds fine to me.

Yes, I had rebuilt postgresql93-client as a different user.   I don't
think we document a rule that all builds must be with the same user, so
I think this is a bug.  But with using the same user, I don't see it,
and thus I no longer think it's new with the new postgis version.

Given Joerg's comment, I agree that somehow the user/group names should
be passed in or just omitted.  This is messy because pgsql is unusual in
that it installs makefile fragments with information determined from its
build environment.