Re: postgis2 trying to set install permissions, right fix?

> 4. 6. 2015 v 1:32, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>:
>
> I am updating postgresql-postgis2 from 2.1.4 to 2.1.7.  The package
> builds and tests fine as root.  As me, it fails because
> doc/Makefile.comments inherits an install target from the
> postgresql-provided Makefils.pgxs which calls install with -u root, more
> or less.
>
> So, the question is the best way to fix it.   My understanding after
> reading a bit (perhaps too quickly) is:
>
>  pkgsrc doesn't use the install METALOG feature at all (I had the
>  impression it provided an install wrapper that did this, but I seem to
>  have made that up).
>
>  Files in packages are owned by root (eventually), and absent
>  SPECIAL_PERMS the ownership doesn't matter .
>
>  One defines SPECIAL_PERMS in the pkg Makefile for files that need to
>  be other than non-writable, executable-or-not, and root owned.
>
>  The way to fix makefiles is to tell them not to set owner/group at
>  install time.
>
> So therefore I probably should be patching postgresqlXX-client to drop
> the -u -g from pgxs.mk, or perhaps to make postgis not use pgxs.mk.
>
> Does that all sound right?

This doesn’t normally become a problem because it’s assumed both the client and the postgis2 package are built as the same user. E.g. our postgresql94-client has "bsdinstall -c -o pbulk -g pbulk”. Did you build the client package yourself on the same setup, or using a binary package from elsewhere?

Otherwise omitting the ownership bits sounds fine to me.

-F